This set of lesson plans, resources, and activities is for use with “The Van Gogh Café” by Cynthia Rylant. It can be used for whole group, small group, and independent instruction – which makes these resources a smart choice for literacy centers or Reader’s Workshop.
Here's What You'll Get and Why:
My goal was to make it easy to teach readers how to think about “The Van Gogh Café” using a variety of comprehension strategies. That's why I've included page by page lesson plans, guided practice worksheets, and text specific reader's notebook prompts for the following strategies:
- Making Inferences
- Identifying the Author’s Purpose
- Determining Importance
- Asking Questions
- Understanding Text Structures
I also created an Extension Activity for early finishers.
Next, I find that vocabulary instruction works best when it's done within the context of books that students are already reading. That's why I've included the following vocabulary resources:
- Vocabulary Word List
- Flash Cards (match words to pictures and match words to definitions)
- Interactive Vocabulary Notebook Cards
- Vocabulary Word Games Printable
- Personal Vocabulary Word Bookmark
This set of resources also includes the following:
- Running Record Assessment
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standard Alignment
- BONUS: Surprise Sample Resource
I hope that you will enjoy using my resources along with your copy or copies of “The Van Gogh Café” by Cynthia Rylant.
If you have any questions about the resources included in this set please email me at Amy@BookPagez.com. It will be my pleasure to reply and help you in any way I can.
Reading Comprehension Lessons